Are you bored looking at the same old décor around your house? Maybe it’s time for a change. If a slim budget is holding you back from updating your space, here are six ideas to help refresh your home that will cost about $100 or less.
- Wallpaper a Nook – For a big impact at a low cost, wallpaper a reading nook, an alcove or a study space. Today’s fantastic wallpapers range from retro florals to zingy geometrics, and at less than $15 a roll in the discount bins at your favorite home store, it’s a statement you can afford to make.
- Create a Sticker Backsplash – If tile is too expensive, consider a backsplash made of peel and stick, waterproof stickers. Just peel and apply them to a clear, flat surface. At a cost of $30 or less for 16 stickers, you can bring a whole new look to your kitchen.
- Highlight Your Front Door – Choose a stand-out paint color that says ‘Welcome.’ Add a jazzy new house number, a cool door mat and, if the budget will allow it, a bright new door knocker.
- Install Crown Molding – Add elegance to a living or dining room with do-it-yourself crown molding. Depending on the size of your room, you can find peel and stick kits, including pre-cut corner pieces, beginning at around $100. Solid wood molding costs up to $4 a foot, but since it’s hard to see at least eight feet above your head, you can opt for a vinyl look-alike for less.
- Plant a Window Box – Up your home’s curb appeal with a cheerful window box or two, featuring foliage and flowers that complement the home’s exterior. The boxes are available at most home stores all year long for less than $100 each.
- Hang a Gallery Wall – Make your house feel more like home with a gallery wall displaying treasured framed photos, your favorite artwork and even some of your kids’ fabulous artwork and/or posters. A failsafe way to do this is to create paper cut-outs of each framed piece and arrange them on the floor to your satisfaction first, before you start banging nails into the wall.